Monday, September 22, 2008

homemade children's lacing cards



Lacing boards are a great way for children to develop basic motor skills, and keep them quiet for a little while! I'm thinking these would be a perfect activity for my little guy while his big brother is in school. They can be pretty expensive, so we decided to make our own (of course!).

Children's Lacing Cards Tutorial

Here's what you'll need:


*Craft foam
*Scissors
*Pen
*Shape to trace
*1/4" hole punch
*Shoelace for lacing

1. We started with one piece of foam sheet from a local craft store. It was only 99 cents and large enough to make four or five lacing shapes.

2. Trace a shape on the foam with a pen. Try using some cute clip art. We used a cute Japanese coaster as our pattern. Cut it out. We used a smaller hole punch on this hedgehog to give him an eye.



3. Use hole punch to punch holes around the edge of the shape. You may choose to mark the holes evenly with a ruler before starting, but it's not necessary.


4. Add your favorite shoelace--that's it!


share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
19 Comments

19 Responses to “homemade children's lacing cards”

Amy said...

Oh my lordie- I have been rackinig my brain trying to think of a good material to use that would be duable to do this and came up with nothing. Unfortunatly I found an adorable set of dress up/ lace up dolls that I now must get- but this has given me an idea for another project I have been racking my brain about- shadow puppets.... this may be just the material I need to get my hands on for that! Thanks for sharing!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

That's so easy and cute! I will have to do this for our church bag. Thanks for the great idea!

Jessica said...

This is easy enough even for me to make!! I am definitely going to try it and make some for my little boys!

Casey said...

I always loved doing lacing cards as a kid! I never thought to use foam though, I think I'll make some up for my girls

homemade by jill said...

this is such a great idea - thanks!

Lorie said...

What a great idea! I bet I have some fun foam shapes around here so I wouldn't even have to cut them out!

Tabitha Blue said...

What a great idea!! I've been wanting to make lacing cards... the foam seems perfect! I'm off to get the materials. Thanks for the tip!

What a cute family too :)

Meaghan said...

Very cool. I am always impressed by creative people :)

xoxo
Meaghan
www.cancerlost.blogspot.com

chloe said...

What a good idea! I'll be sure to use this!!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Ahhhhh! I love love love this project. Those foam sheets are the greatest for so many projects. We'll be making these today! Great idea, thanks.

Michelle said...

Wow, I have all this stuff at home and I bet my son would love it! I'm totally going to do it!

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

This is a super cute idea. I'm thinking it would be cute for Christmas. I loved these things as a kid.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this! What a great idea. My son has one lacing card so I am excited to find this. I actually made some today and will be posting about it on my blog in a couple of days. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I never thought to use foam! Thanks for the great tip. Oh, I included you in my blog post here: http://giveldsgifts.com/2008/12/quiet-sacrament-game-lacing-cards/

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! My Boys have been "stitching" with shoes so I am doing a bunch of these. We have a trip coming up and if this keeps them occupied it's all worthwhile. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Included this in a blog post: http://awesomeave.wordpress.com/2009/07/19/makin-your-own-lacin-cards/

Again, thanks for posting this!

Freya said...

I linked to you on my new blog. Thanks for the tut!
http://tutorialadventures.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

i am going to do these for a busy bag swap with some friends!! i am so excited. thanks for the brilliant idea. :)

Linda said...

This is exactly what I've been looking for! I was trying to think of a material that wasn't going to be too flimsy and that could take on some toddler lovin'. I'm pretty sure I have some sort of foam like that in my house, off I go! I am also going to Pin this, hopefully you will also get more traffic to your blog!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs